Saturday, January 2, 2016

"Time really is moving faster"

These days, the vast majority of my library time is spent in the Children's Section--it's rare that I have a little time to poke around and browse the stacks anymore.

But today I was running errands during nap time, and so I snuck a look around, and found a thin volume co-written by Douglas Coupland (Generation X et al.) and Hans Ulrich Obrist (o he of the interview books I picked through @ the VDU library) called The Age of Earthquakes (2015). [For now, I plead ignorance on Shumon Basar.]

It turns out that this is something of an update of our man Jon Berger's Ways of Seeing (1972)--the authors are working to link our media-saturated NOW in ways not readily apparent to climate change, the 1%, political atrophy, the loss of the Social, and so on. And they do so in a way that not only touches on Berger, but clearly also Generation X (1991) as well.

What would happen if I led off my accelerated Media Literacy course on-Cape this fall with something like THIS? What kinds of initial conversations might this jump-start? What would it foreclose? What are some other new titles that need considering?

No comments: